Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Dairy Farm

The little girls trying to feed the cows.

Feeding the pigs.

I have a wonderful friend from my time in Virginia named Amy. Her parents own a farm in Blackfoot which is only about 30 minutes from here. She came out to visit them in early September with her 3 boys and while she was here she gave me a call. I just found the pictures and realized I have never blogged about it. So, because this is kind of a journal/family history thing for me, I thought I'd go back in time and blog about our time at the dairy farm.

Watching Amy's Dad milk the cows! He was so wonderful and kind to them. He even let them help a little which both Hannah and Sarah thought was way cool. :)

Ben on top the hay bales. This was his favorite part of the farm.

Floating boats down the canal with Amy's boys and their cousins.

When the kids got home from school on September 2nd we headed out to Blackfoot. It was so nice to see Amy and the boys. I love seeing my Virginia friends again, it brings back such happy memories. The kids, of course, had a wonderful time on the farm. We looked at the cows and the pigs and then headed over to the dairy part of the farm. Hannah and Sarah loved watching Amy's Dad and brother milk the cows. Sarah was full of a million questions that Amy's Dad patiently answered. Ben had fun with the boys and their cousins who came over. They played on the bales of hay, floated toy boats down the canal, and played in the barn. Gracie loved roaming around seeing what everybody else was doing and trying to find something to climb on and drive. Amy allowed the 4 oldest kids to feed the calves and Sarah Kate was even lucky enough to feed one that was born that day. It was such a fun afternoon and I think Dan enjoyed himself even though he spent most of the day in the stroller (letting a crawling baby loose on a farm didn't seem like a good idea to me.)

Gracie found a 4-wheeler to drive. I love the VRRRROOOOMMM on her lips.

Dan enjoying the stroller.

Dan REALLY enjoying the stroller. He's such a goofy boy.

Farms are such wonderful playgrounds for kids. I'm grateful my kids have been able to experience a farm and to see what happens on a farm. I think that's something important for kids to learn and I feel fortunate we were able to spend time with good friends while there. Thanks for the invitation Amy and we'd love to do it again next year (if you come out.)

Feeding the baby calf in the barn.

Amy helping Hannah and Gracie feed the calves.

Sarah feeding the brand new calf.

No comments: