Monday, February 23, 2009

The Cake

Every year I make a special cake for the kids on their birthday. I started it when Sarah Kate turned 1 and I've been doing it ever since. I had a friend in Virginia teach me how to do it and it's become a tradition. The kids seem to like it. I try to hide their cake from them until their birthday. They like the surprise and enjoy seeing what Mom picked for them. It's fun for me and I love watching their excitement over it.

The Cake

For Ben's birthday this year I made him a SpongeBob cake. I'm starting to run out of cake pans at the store that I haven't already used so I had to go with what I could find, luckily he liked it. Next year I think I'm going to have to look online for more options. Anyway, as I said earlier, I try to hide the cake from the kids until their birthday. I didn't do a good job with Ben this year because he found the cake pan in the car. He was very excited for the cake and excited that he got so see it before his birthday. Oh well! Maybe next year I can surprise him. I'm glad he like it anyway.

Even though he had already seen what the cake was he enjoyed it and looked forward to eating it. After dinner we lite the candles and started to sing. Halfway through the song Ben blew out all his candles. I guess he was just a little excited. We lite the candles again and started over. This time he waited until the song was over, but he couldn't get the candles to go out. It was kind of funny. He got a little help from Hannah and finally got them out.
Ben trying to blow out the candles.
Getting help from Hannah
We have begun another tradition the past few years where the birthday kid gets to get the head of their cake. SpongeBob was pretty much all head and so that did work. Instead he got the eyes and he was content. The kids ate their cake without forks or hands (another tradition) and had a lot of fun. Birthdays are so much fun.
Eating SpongeBob's eyes.
Messy face.
Hannah eating her piece.
Sarah devouring her cake.

Gracie likes her cake too.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

You rock Katie! Your cakes are always amazing. Happy Birthday Ben.

Carolyn said...

Katie, you are so talented! I am VERY impressed with your SpongeBob cake. Way to go!