Thursday, January 7, 2010

Christmas Eve (Finally)

So I'm a little late on my posting of Christmas happenings. So much for my New Years resolution to keep up on my blogging so I can add more mundane things that happen around here. Oh well! I guess better late than never. We had a wonderful, busy Christmas Eve at our house. I've already mentioned a few of the things we did, wrapping presents for siblings, finishing our gingerbread house, and having a party for Daniel. Once all of that was done we began our Christmas Eve stuff.

We heard about a house nearby that had a great Christmas light display. I looked it up online and sure enough it was only about 2 miles from our house. I had told the kids about it earlier in the day and they really wanted to see it. So after everything else was done we headed out to the lighted house. I must say, it was amazing. They had they're music synced to a local radio station from 5:30 to 10:00 and so you could just sit in your car listening to Christmas music and watch all the lights on this house blink to the music. Surprisingly it wasn't a fancy, new house, it wasn't even a big house, it was just a plain ordinary house, but I think that made it all the cooler. Just the fact that it was not necessarily a wealthy family putting on the show helped me feel the spirit of Christmas even more.
Opening Jammies

After the light show we came home to open our one present. Every year on Christmas Eve the kids get to open they're jammies. They look forward to this and it's fun to see them so excited over a new pair of jammies. After getting dressed in our new jammies, we had a little lesson on the importance of Christmas, the birth of Christ, and the true reason behind the holiday. I'm always impressed with how much of the Christmas story my kids know, even Hannah knows more about it than I thought she did. They're amazing kids and I'm so glad they enjoy learning about our Savior. After our nativity discussion and lesson we set out some Santa cake (left over from Dan's birthday,) egg nog (Santa gets too much milk,) and carrots and then put the kids to bed. Ben and Sarah Kate slept on the floor in Dan's room so Santa could go downstairs and give us our gifts without waking them up. They all did a good job falling asleep (it helped that it was past their bedtime) and then Kenny and I waited around for Santa. It was a good Christmas Eve. A little rushed, and next year I vow to be more organized so we have more time, but none the less it was a good Christmas Eve.

Ahhh Christmas Jammies

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Cute new Christmas jammies! All the things you did sound like a great way to celebrate Christmas Eve.

Natalie said...

Too cute. Why is it new pjs make kids look so adorable?

Anonymous said...

I love hearing how your children interact with each other and the world around them! These are wonderful memories you are creating for them.

Keep Up the good work...with your children and with your blogging!!!

Love you all...Aunt Diana