Friday, March 25, 2011

Our News Girl

On February 24th the local news came to Rimrock Elementary to do a news clip on Sarah's class. Her amazingly wonderful and eventful teacher Mr. Guymon (can you tell I'm very pleased with her teacher this year) has decided to teach the kids about the news. He built a news desk that sits in the room and the kids write and record their own news each week. This all started much smaller with the newspaper. Mr. Guymon takes out a weekly add in the local newspaper asking the public a trivia question. Anyone is allowed to respond to the question through Mr. Guymon's e-mail and then the following week he sends those who responded an answer taped from the class. From here he decided to take the weekly newsletter he send home to parents and allow the students to turn it into a news show. We, as parents, get a copy of it via e-mail every week and I've loved watching the kids and their creativity.

So, back to our news girl. The local news found out about Mr. Guymon's news class and wanted to do a story on it. Now remember, we live in Eastern Idaho and to be frank, the news here is HORRIBLE most of the time, but it was still cool for them to come to Sarah's class. They chose names out of a hat for the four kids who would be interviewed for the show. All four names were drawn and none of them were Sarah's. However, the last girl drawn didn't want to be interviewed so she opted to draw another name. She drew Tyler's name (he also happens to be our neighbor boy) and because he was one of three doing the news cast for that day, he didn't get to be interviewed. He drew a name out of the hat and Sarah was the name drawn. Yeah!!! She was very excited.

When she got home from school I asked her how the news was that day. She said she got to be interviewed and that she would be on TV that night at 5:00 and 5:30. We set the DVR to record the news and everyone sat around and watched as her story came on. It's very cute! Probably more so for me because I know all the kids in the class, but cute none the less. There are some funny things about it that you may notice though. First, if you count the number of interviews you'll notice that there are only 3 kids shown. I said earlier that 4 names were drawn out of the hat, but I guess the news, for whatever reason, only aired 3. Luckily Sarah was aired, but a girl named Cara did not make the cut. This brings me to my number 2. If you notice while Sarah is talking they have her name as Cara. Ooops! Not the best job on the part of the news, but news shows make mistakes often and lets not forget, we do live in Eastern Idaho, need I say more.

Sarah was pretty upset over the whole wrong name thing. She asked me, "what happens if when I meet people now they think my name is Cara because of the news." That one definitely made me laugh to myself. I'm sure there will be tons of people from now on that will forever remember that news cast and when the meet you in the future will remember the news cast and call you Cara. I just love the way little kids think sometimes. I assured her that no one is going to think that her name is Cara and if they in fact do, she can just correct them. I also had to point out that of the two girls, Cara is the one to feel bad about. She didn't even get to be shown on the broadcast. All she got was her name. When Sarah realized this she was much more accepting of the name mistake.

So, I hope you enjoy the news clip. I think she looks really cute. I know she's my daughter and so I'm going to be bias, but I really do think she did a good job. I think she looks good on TV and I'm definitely proud to call her my daughter.

No comments: