Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Painting to Falling Snow

Decorating the back windows. I love the backdrop of beautiful white snow.

On Saturday morning the 20th I had just put the little kids in the bathtub when Ben asked if he could get out the window crayons. My first instinct was, 'Oh please, not today.' I've decided lately that I'm a grumpy, no fun, uncreative mom and that I need to change. All the kids, all the mess, all the laundry, and so on gets to me sometimes and I've gotten in the habit of letting it control me. It's been hard sometimes, but I've really tried to get those negative, it's too much work, thoughts out of my head and let the kids make messes and do more fun and creative things. So when Ben asked if he could get the window crayons out I paused, shoved the negative first instinct out of my mind, looked out the window at the barely starting to fall snow and said, 'Sure." So the kids spent a few hours in the morning decorating my back windows, all of them. They had a ton of fun and watching them color to a background of 5 inches of accumulating snow was a ton of fun for me as well. Here's some of their beautiful artwork:

Ben was, of course, the first to color the windows. He started by drawing the family. I love this picture because I love that he has his tongue stuck out in concentration.

When Sarah's out of school she likes to lay in bed and read for about an hour after getting up. When she finally came upstairs and saw Ben coloring she jumped right in and went to work.

When the little girls got out of the bathtub they helped themselves to the remaining windows (the back wall of entire living room is full of windows.) They had a lot of fun and were very proud of the scribble creations.
Hannah coloring one of our many windows. She was determined to get all the windows and even climbed on the counter to get the window over the sink.

Gracie had fun climbing on the back of the couch and coloring the windows. She did a great job and thought it was so neat that she got to color on the windows.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Good for you, doing such a fun thing with your kids! I love their artwork. :)